Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Oh, My Crazy Life!

I am so sorry that I haven't posted anything yet this week.  It has been a very very busy week.  I did weigh in on Monday morning and had a good week.  I know I haven't really posted a whole lot about my actual number of weight loss, but since I am now 4 months in, I thought you might want to know where I am.  I have lost 41.8 pounds total in this 16 weeks.  I look at that number though and know that it is so much more than 41.8 pounds.  I have put on a lot of muscle.  I can watch my body in the mirror and watch those muscles WORK.  They aren't just moving weight around, they are LIFTING that weight and becoming stronger.  Each week, I am able to lift more weight that I did the week before, each mile gets a little faster, and each 500 split gets a little less scary.  Now, let me be clear.  I did not say it ever got EASIER.  I just get stronger.  I get more confident.  I get better.

Last week I answered a question I have been getting.  I have two others that I have been asked a lot and I think they are worth addressing.

"What are you doing? What diet are you following?"

First let me say this.  THERE IS NO MAGIC here people.  I'm not trying to sound harsh.  I used to think that there had to be a quick easy way to lose weight.  I would see commercials on TV for Hydroxycut or some weight loss aide of that type and think, "Could it really be that easy?" "Surely there has to be SOME truth to this claim!".  Unfortunately, it ISN'T that easy and there is NO truth to that claim (or VERY little).  I really wish it was though, I truly do.  As it is, it is HARD work and there is NO easy fix.  I have had to make a CHOICE to do what I am doing.  I have had to make my own magic to do what I am doing.

So, what am I doing?  Well, it is a simple formula.  I watch my calories and I work out.  Let's address the working out first.  I am at the gym 5-6 days each week.  I take a spin class 2-3 times each week, a rowing class twice each week, I lift 3-4 days each week, I walk, I use the elliptical machine, and I do core work.  I fit in other things when I can.  If it will be helpful, I will post my workout schedule and what I do on one of my blog pages.  The simple answer though is this: I work my ass off.  Not pretty, but it is the truth.  Hard Work.

"What diet are you following?"  I really dis-like this question.  I am not following a diet.  I try really hard not to even use that word.  Yes, I am watching what I eat.  Yes, I count my calories.  No, I do not starve myself.  I use the "Lose It" app on my phone (www.loseit.com) to track my calories. I do this partly to be in control of what goes in my mouth.  I also use it to make sure I am eating enough.  Starving myself is NOT going to work.  Eating too much crap is NOT going to work.  This works for me.  I am making this a life-style.  This is not a "diet".  This is my life and if I want to eat pizza I will.  If I want to eat chocolate, I will.  But, I will eat it in control and I will make decisions that are going to benefit me, not derail me.

I hope that helps put those questions to rest.  Hard work and smart decisions.  Those are the answers!

Tomorrow I will include you in a challenge I am starting.  I will be posting what is being done daily so you can join in if you would like.  I will also add a page with my workouts so you can see what I do on a daily basis.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment