Saturday, April 12, 2014

Dinner Choices

Man, it has been a week.  And I know that it is only going to get crazier with Holy Week coming up, but it will all be worth it.  Holy week is such an awesome experience and I love that I get to be a part of it through singing in the choir.  Anyway, I have been continuing to work hard and then work harder.  I knocked out a lot of Miles for Eli this week and only have 55 to go to the finish line.  The guy in fourth place is right on my tail though, so I am going to have to step it up!  I'm hoping to be done by Easter.  I should be finished several days prior to that though!  

I did have a pretty awesome success this week...I am up to benching 105 pounds!  And I got all 12 reps at that weight AFTER doing 12 reps at 85 and 12 reps at 100!  That seriously felt incredible!!!  I love that I am feeling myself get stronger.  I was able to increase the weight on about half of my upper body lifting.

Right now, I want to talk about food.  I try not to talk about calories and such too much on here because I completely know how easy it is to become obsessed with counting calories and all of the zillion different things women are told about how many calories we should be eating and blah, blah, blah.  I have discussed this thoroughly with several different trainers and everyone is different.  Everyone has different caloric needs.  Now, remember, I am so NOT a trainer or a dietitian, anything I put on the blog here is information I have gathered from others (I will try to give credit where credit is due!) or just information that I have learned about myself through this journey.  I HIGHLY suggest talking with someone who knows what they are talking about before starting this kind of journey yourself!!  I use the Lose It App on my phone to help me keep track of what I am eating.  As of today according to the App, I should be eating 1739 calories per day.  That is a base number.  When I first started this journey, I was told I should eat close to 1900.  In the beginning, I had a really difficult time getting all of those calories.  I have spent so many years thinking I need to eat less to lose weight.  I know you all have heard the whole, "women should only eat 1200 calories each day".  Well, that may work for some people, but it wasn't going to work for me.  Discussions with one of the trainers at the gym taught me that I HAVE to eat AT LEAST 1600 calories each day MINIMUM and closer to 1800 would be even better!!  It has been really difficult to wrap my brain around that, but I am trying.  Exercise does give me more calories to eat if I need them, but I don't eat them too often.  Sometimes though (like yesterday), I get hungry, or I REALLY want an extra bowl of yummy soup, so I dig in to those extra calories.  But, the biggest lesson anyone starting a journey like this needs to know is that you can't starve yourself.  Your body will eventually go into starvation mode and you will NOT lose weight.  You won't build muscle.  You will NOT hit your goals.  Get what I'm saying?  Eat people!

That said, I was looking at some items on the Lose It App this afternoon and about DIED when I saw the calorie count for some things.  E said we could get Applebee's for dinner tonight.  So, I looked at how many calories I have eaten today and what I had left to eat to try and make my decision.  I LOVE to order from Applebee's because of their Under 550 calorie menu.  A lot of times the food on those types of menus are not very good.  But, I think the things on Applebee's tastes really good as well as being good for you.  Anyway, I was looking at the calorie count for some of the things I USED to eat.  Check this out!

Quesadilla Burger-I LOVE these but at 1400 calories, it is a no go, especially after I add the mayo I love on to it!

Riblet and Chicken Tender Platter (with fries and coleslaw)-1880.  Yeesh!

Appetizer Sampler-and YES, I would order and eat the entire thing myself, weighs in at 2340 calories.  Dude, that is more that I should eat all day and I would eat that in one sitting!  No wonder I gained weight!!

I'm not at all saying you should never splurge, because you absolutely should.  But, for me to have something like this again, it is going to take a LOT of understanding what I am eating up front and a lot of work in the gym BEFORE I even think about ordering one of these items.

My new favorites though have become:

Lemon Parmesean Shrimp
Signature Sirloin with Garlic Herb Shrimp and sides
Zesty Roma Chicken with Shrimp and sides

Each of these is under 500 calories and really they taste so good that I don't feel like I'm missing anything by ordering a healthier choice.  I think that is key in all of this.  You need to find foods that are a healthier choice, but do not make you feel like you are sacrificing taste.  I still LOVE Taco Bell (no comments please about that dangers of Fast Food...at least I am not eating McDonald's!).  Sometimes I splurge and get my favorite Grilled Chicken Burrito.  Sometimes I just get something from the Fresco menu (no cheese, but has pico de gallo instead).  You can find healthier choices just about anywhere, you just have to be willing to try them.  I promise, you just might surprise yourself!

So, for dinner tonight, I think I'm going with the Sirloin and Garlic Herb Shrimp.  What are you having?

Blessings!

PS...no, I get nothing from Applebee's or Taco Bell for any endorsements I gave today, however, if they would like to give me something, I'm good with that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment