Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Food Hangover

Yesterday was an amazingly wonderful Easter Sunday in which we celebrated our Risen Lord.  After a beautifully moving Holy Week, I had so anticipated this day. The Easter Mass was awesome and our family celebration afterwards was great!  It was wonderful to visit with everyone and watch my kids and their cousins play all afternoon.  It was a great and very blessed day! He is Alive!

I don't know what Easter dinner in your family is like, but in our family, it means ham, cheesy potatoes, corn pudding, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, rolls, ham/pickle rollups, and desserts. Oh the desserts!  I had given up sweets for Lent and had not had dessert in 40 days. I was wanting dessert people!  I'd love to say that not eating all the sugar during Lent got rid of all of the cravings, but unfortunately, that is not the case.  Since I started my life change, I had not really had a day in which I just ate what I wanted to eat and didn't stress too much about the calories (otherwise known as a splurge day!).  I decided that I needed to have one of those so I might as well make it a special day.  I tried not to go overboard, but I did enjoy the day.  I really enjoyed the desserts!

Yesterday morning I weighed myself just because I was curious where I was before my Splurge Day and then I weighed myself this morning to see the damage I did.  In the course of 24 hours, I "gained" 2.4 pounds!  Now, I know that I had ham and Ramen Noodle Coleslaw Salad, both of which are SUPER high in salt.  I also didn't get as much water yesterday as I would have liked.  I also know that there was no way I ate 8400 "Splurge" calories to cause a 2.4 pound gain (3500 calories per pound to help the math impaired.) so I know that although some of that gain may be legit most of it is probably water.  Today I have been flooding my body with water.  I have drank so much water, I feel like I'm floating a little.  I have to admit I have had a couple of non-healthy things today as well, but nothing like I did yesterday.  Let's be honest though, it is in the house staring me in the face, and I only have so much will power.  I will be glad when it is gone.  All of this explanation is to just say that sometimes a gain is a gain.  Sometimes a gain is bloat.  Sometimes you have to enjoy special days in your life.  Sometimes the chocolate is just really that good.  And sometimes, even with a 2.4 pound "gain", you still lose weight from the week before!  Not bad, and I will take it!

The knee is feeling so much better now.  I was able to lift lower body today and do squats and lunges.  I was on the elliptical and did a good hard workout on the treadmill.  Tonight I am heading to spinning, which I am looking forward to since I haven't been on a bike in the week.  It will be a good night!

Leftovers for dinner tonight means some of that food from yesterday, but continuing to drink lots of water and managing my portion size will make a big difference.

I hope you had a wonderful Easter with your family.  I wish you all the blessings in the world today and every day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment