Monday, March 3, 2014

Epiphany!

Today is 8 weeks into my new life.  I woke up and weighed in because that is what I do on Monday mornings.  I took a deep breath and stepped on the scale and waited for about 10 seconds while the scale made its decision.  My heart fell as I saw that I have gained a pound this week.  Just for a moment, I had the thought that what I was doing was pointless.  All of the hard work I have put in the past 8 weeks have been for naught.  I started to spiral.

Then I stepped off of the scale and came to my senses. I know that NOTHING I did last week would result in a 1 pound fat gain.  NOTHING.  That pound is from something else. Am I really going to let ONE FREAKING POUND derail everything I have worked for and will continue to work for?  HELL NO!  I got dressed and went and had a healthy breakfast.  I went about my morning singing a funeral and then went to the gym.  I got on the elliptical machine just like I usually do on Mondays.  Because I planned on running on the treadmill, I didn't plan on being on the elliptical machine for too long.  I set the machine for 15 minutes and kept going.  I have been working toward keeping going on the elliptical, but so far I have been stopping every 5 minutes and taking a breather.  Today, I went the whole 15 minutes!  I know that may not sound like a big deal to some, but it was not an easy 15 minutes and I didn't go slow the whole time.  I bumped it up, increased my resistance level, and even did about half of that 15 minutes with no hands.  I worked hard.  Then I jumped on the treadmill and added 5 minutes of running into my walk.  I do not enjoy running, but I am going to stick with it.  Why?  Because I can, that's why.

So, one pound.  I reminded myself that muscle weighs more than fat.  I have been lifting 4 days each week.  Muscles get bigger.  Bigger muscles weigh more.  Geesh.  Do the math Theresa.  Get over yourself and be proud of how hard you are working.  So that is what I did.  Today, I am proud.  Today, I am strong.  Today, I am a machine.  Today, I'm taking my third spinning class.  Lord help me!

Lastly today, I decided that I am no longer going to be posting my weight-loss.  At least not until I hit my goal.  I'm trying to focus less on the number on that scale and more on the changes in my body.  So, I will keep showing you pics and talking about my progress, but the number does not matter as much.


Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment